Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Mr. President Elect

President Elect - Obama
My name is Phillip Warren Johnson I am a 49 year old independent voter and a volunteer in a Campaign for Change office St. Louis.

I was one of the 100,000 at the rally in front of the Arch.
From 1980 -2000 I either voted for a Republican or a third party candidate for President. I have never campaigned for any candidate at any level. All that changed this summer when I started volunteering in the local office. The office manager started a trend in which volunteers would post on the walls their reason for supporting the Campaign for Change. I put it off, because I knew that whatever I would say - had to represent – My Truth. When think back about the early days of the summer (it seems like years ago) I remember when the first time I heard you say in a speech “this election has never been about me, it’s about you!” That was for me, one of the turning points in the campaign. Now several months later, thinking about my rational for supporting the Obama campaign, I get it. Born in 1959, I would often as say an adult– “man if I was born twenty years earlier I may have gone to Woodstock like Russert, or saw Sinatra, or maybe Miles Davis or the Beatles. I may have seen Koufax, Ted Williams, or Jackie Robinson”.

But more importantly, I may have gone south marching with Martin, or campaigned for Bobby. America is many things, most of all it is a product of “movements”. Too often “movements” are spoken about in a derisive tone. Too often “movements” have been marginalized contemporaneously only to be vindicated later through the lens of history. Too often “movements” unleash the furies in those resisting change as they attempt to move heaven and earth to maintain the status quo. Yet more often than not, movements produce moments that become cornerstones of an epoch.

I was often envious of those who lived in the sixties because they seemed to be part of the last great American movement. When I was nine, two of the last social prophets our generation, were struck down. It was during those dark days of 1968 that my cynicism was born. Now 40 years later, after witnessing the worse of politics, divisiveness, and politics of distraction that too often gave birth to politics of distraction.


I had enough.


Then came the campaign for change. For the first time in 40 years, I heard a real voice for those left behind, but more than that, a voice to those tricked by politics of distraction into supporting policies of distraction. I heard a voice that said America can be great, but not with 20th century models of governance. I heard a voice that said America is still the greatest economy in the world, but we have to return to policies that support growth, and investment – not debt. I heard a voice that said corporate greed and lack of transparency got us into this mess, but now more than ever, personal accountability matters. I heard a voice that said America can be great, but we can’t be an agent for change abroad, until we unleash chance at home Finally I heard a voice that said America can be the great beacon of democracy, but that light of democracy must shine its brightest at home.


With all that is stake, racism, sexism, and intolerance and other pseudo issues will not resolve out economic crisis, nor will they bring about an end to two wars or make us safe. Coming together as a people is the great American destiny.
Deep inside me I was haunted by the incomplete promise of the 60’s. The mission of Robert Kennedy, Martin Luther King cut down too soon, created a vacuum which was filled with apathy and the belief that the American ethos would be one of permanent divisions. The campaign for Change, revived my spirit, and finally gave me a movement to be a part of. Senator Obama, you were right, this election has never been about you, but it is about the spirit of movement that has been all of us. This campaign allows us to channel our inner Patrick Henry, and Ida B. Wells to harness the dreams Robert Frances Kennedy and Martin Luther King, and honor to our ancestors by standing tall in this defining moment.


I want an America strong yet tolerant, innovative yet steady, wise, yet youthful, an America that respects the rule of nations and most of is respected throughout the community of nations. I believe this movement can restore America to her promise, this is my movement, actually as Americans this is our movement.
Congratulations and God bless!

No comments: